Historical information

Queenstown (St. Andrews) District.

Originally published in The Leader, Nov. 2nd, 1929, p30, with the title "Relics of the Old Mining days in the Queenstown District," a series of seven numbered photographs with captions :
1. Two Old-Timers, Brothers Tom and Alex McPhee, Camped on Back Creek.
2. Like the Caledonia, Every Yard of Queenstown Creek has been Washed.
3. Poppet Heads of the Caledonia Mine.
4. A Warning to Possible Land Buyers or Encouragement to Prospectors?
5. Mr. A. Harvey has been Prospecting the District, Washing a Loam, for Some Years.
6. John Olsen, of Smith's Gully, an Old-Timer, who is Shortly Going to Norway to Claim an Inheritance.
7. Queenstown Cemetery. - The Hills Form a Splendid Memorial to Many a Digger.


This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.'
It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Physical description

Digital image
4 x 5 inch B&W Neg