Historical information

Dross Drossou sold his cordial manufacturing business to Phillips and Stone, a Bairnsdale company, in 1948. Phillips & Stone continued to manufacture soft drinks at Orbost until the early 1970s when the factory became a distribution centre. It closed as a distribution centre in 1978 and later served as the headquarters of the Orbost State Emergency Service. The site of the Cordial Factory now forms part of the carpark at the rear of the Orbost Newsagency. (John Phillips)

Significance

This bottle is an example of a product manufactured/distributed by a local industry no longer existing.

Physical description

A narrow-shouldered, clear glass bottle with white and red lettering. The neck is threaded (cap is missing). It is labelled "P & S 850ml; Phillips and stone; refreshing drinks. BAIRNSDALE AND ORBOST. Manufactured by Phillips & Stone Bairnsdale & Orbost E2361. Preservative added. Artificially coloured and flavoured."