This torch was made for Westbourne Grammar School by the Williamstown Naval Dockyard to symbolise the relationship between the two campuses and to perpetuate the new campus at Truganina. The Williamstown campus at Monomeith had been leased since 1956 (and purchased in 1972) from the Melbourne Harbour Trust which had operated the Williamstown Naval Dockyard between 1924 and 1942. In 1978, when this torch was made for the school, the Dockyard was operated by the Royal Australian Navy.
At the first assembly of the new campus in 1978 the torch was presented to the school by the Williamstown Naval Dockyard General Manager, Bob Fife. It was then passed, with flame, to every student and teacher present at the assembly. Reflecting on the occasion in the 1978 edition of the school yearbook, student Eileen Moffatt wrote, 'It was our first assembly and we were reminded that we were pioneers'.
The torch symbolises the long association of the school with Williamstown's naval and shipping industry and community, and the continuing link between the historic Williamstown Grammar and the new in 1978, Westbourne campus. It demonstrates support for the growth of the school by the historically significant Williamstown Naval Dockyard which includes the Victorian Heritage Register listed Alfred Graving Dock (VHR number H0697).
Copper plated torch comprising two parts, the torch with handle and a separate base. The torch features a Williamstown Grammar School badge soldered to the cup which contains the reservoir for fuel.