Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Costume Accessories - School of Mines Ballarat Tie

From the Collection of Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre) Federation University Australia E.J. Barker Library (top floor) Mount Helen Victoria

Description
These two green polyester ties have a small SMB crest set within two gold diagonal pin stripes (5cm apart) in the middle of the wider front and one on the narrower end. (Men's polyester tie made In Australia under licence By Hollygreen)
Size
134 cm
Object Registration
19103
Keywords
smb, school of mines ballarat, school tie, costume, textiles, uniform
Historical information
This was a School of Mines Ballarat tie. The School of Mines was established in 1870, making it Australia's third oldest tertiary institution. The School of Mines had two divisions - a tertiary division and a technical division. The tertiary division provided higher education courses such as mining engineering, geology, education and business studies, while the technical division provided such programs as wool classing, plumbing and bricklaying. The organisation remained in that form until the 1967 when it was split into three institutions, Ballarat School of Industries, Ballarat Technical School, and Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education. They remained three entities until 1976.
When Made
c1970
Made By
Holly Green (Manufacturer)
Inscriptions & Markings
On a label tag at the back - Hollygreen, 100% polyester, Dry clean only, Made in Australia
Last updated
5 Sep 2018 at 3:48PM