Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Shoes

From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria

Description
Dark brown leather shoes with Louis heel. Vamp and strap are decorated with cut metal beads. Strap secured with one boot button and button hole.
Object Registration
T0024.1-2
Keywords
shoes, j. t. morris, ballarat, margaret law, margaret bartholomew, james lindsay gordon law, pelaco
Historical information
These shoes belonged to Margaret Law (nee Bartholomew). Born on 3 December 1837 in Stirling, Scotland, Margaret emigrated to Australia with her family aboard the Ticonderoga, arriving in Melbourne on 22 December 1852. Around one hundred passengers died of typhus during the journey, and around seventy more after arrival. Two of Margaret's siblings were among the casualties. The Bartholomew family settled in Ballarat.

Around 1861, Margaret married James Nicol Law. They continued to live in Ballarat for some years, and it is likely that Margaret purchased the shoes during this period.

They had several children, the youngest of which was James Lindsay Gordon "Lin" Law, (1881-1963). In 1906, Lin and his business partner James Kerr Pearson (also a Brighton local, who lived at 12 Moule Avenue) established the shirt manufacturing company Pelaco. In 1922 the company established its factory at 23 Goodwood Street on the top of Richmond Hill; the 4.3 metre high neon 'Pelaco' sign, erected in 1939, is today heritage listed. The company was known for its innovative approach to efficiency and labour relations, discontinuing Saturday morning work in 1908 and appointing an industrial relations officer in 1928.

Lin married Elsie Russell on 12 January 1915 (BHS also holds a bridge jacket given to Elsie by Lin; see T0047). They settled in Brighton, moving into 'Blairgowrie', 306 St Kilda Street, in 1920. The eldest their four children, Pauline Margaret Law (born 15 December 1915) ultimately purchased the house with her husband Hugh McLean in 1956 and lived there until 1965 when the house was demolished.
When Made
1880-1900
Made By
J. T. Morris (Maker)
Inscriptions & Markings
Made in Austria for / J. T. MORRIS / 306 Sturt Street / BALLARAT
Last updated
30 Dec 2019 at 7:53PM