Historical information

Tertiary education at Ballarat began with the establishment of the School of Mines in 1870, making it Australia's third oldest tertiary institution. Classes began in surveying, mathematics, chemistry and a decade later they included metallurgy, assaying and geology. The technical division provided such programs as wool classing, plumbing and bricklaying. In 1967, it was split into three separate institutions, Ballarat School of Industries, Ballarat Technical School, and Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education. Then in 1976 the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education became into Ballarat College of Advanced Education. The Ballarat School of Industries and Ballarat Technical School became the School of Mines and Industries, Ballarat (SMB). In 1998, the Ballarat School of Mines and Industries and the Horsham-based Wimmera Institute of TAFE merged with the University of Ballarat. The university merged with Monash University's Gippsland (Churchill) campus in 2013 and the merged schools are now the Federation University Australia

Physical description

These Coat of Arms of the School of Mines Ballarat are circular lapel badges and are made of sterling silver and enamel. The circular disc is attached to a long pin.
1). The enamel is yellow, green and blue
2). The enamel is white, yellow, green and blue

Inscriptions & markings

On face - Ingenio Effodere Opes