From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- Red, white and black cotton halter neck dress with rows of pin tucking on the bodice and applied horizontal strips of red and black cotton and black lace to the skirt.
- 1970s dress, mexico, international women's conference
- Purchased in Mexico by Mary Owen OAM (1921-2017) while attending the first International Women's Conference and worn to the reception. Mary Owen was a feminist and activist. A lifelong advocate for the empowerment of women, Mary made a substantial impact on the road to achieving gender equality. Mary was a founding member of EMILY’s List, the founding Coordinator of The Working Women’s Centre Melbourne (which was later absorbed into the Australian Council of Trade Unions) and a member of the Women’s Electoral Lobby for more than 40 years. She was appointed Deputy Chancellor of La Trobe University in 1989. (Information from the Victorian Women's Trust website: https://www.vwt.org.au/mary-owen-oam-memorial/)
- Georgia Charuhas (Fashion house)
- Label, woven black on white acetate, centre back: Disenado con carino por / GEORGIA CHARUHAS / HECHO / EN MEXICO
Label, woven black on white acetate, centre back: Gerorgia's / BOUTIQUE LAS MARIPOSAS / Designer: / Georgia Charuhas / MERIDA YUCATAN, MEXICO
- 12 Nov 2018 at 1:58PM