From the Collection of Ballarat Clarendon College 1425 Sturt Street Ballarat Victoria
- Grayscale photograph with hessian and card mount
- caselli, ballarat college, buildings
- In August 1874 the College Trustees agreed to a loan by Mr Leckie of 1500 pounds at 8% over three years and the foundation stone of a new building, on the corner of Lyons and Sturt Streets in the grounds of St Andrews Kirk, was laid on 12 September by Rev Henderson, founder of the College.
Designed by leading Ballarat architect Henry Caselli and built by contractors Taylor and Ellis the building was opened for January 1875 classes. In February 1875 the original church hall was sold cheaply and moved form the site. The girls' section of the college was moved to the schoolrooms connected with the Baptist Church in Errard Street Sth. The girls school operated 1875 - 1892.
Ballarat College moved to current senior campus premises at 1412 Sturt Street in 1912. A plaque commemorating the Caselli building remains on the original site.
The photograph features southwest faces of building, surrounded by a picket fence; seven young boys are standing in front of fence along Lyons Street side.
- Bottom right corner of photograph: ....tuhards....
- 30 Apr 2019 at 10:38AM