Historical information

This jacket was bought in England for Elsie Law (nee Russell) by her husband James Lindsay Gordon "Lin" Law in 1930. Elsie used it as a bridge jacket. Lin was born in Ballarat 1881, the eighth child of Scottish migrants James Nicol Law and Margaret Law (nee Bartholomew). BHS holds an evening dress belonging to Margaret Law in its collection (see T0006.1). After leaving school at the age of 11, Lin began working as a salesman. In 1906, he and business partner James Kerr Pearson (also a Brighton local, who lived at 12 Moule Avenue) established the shirt manufacturing company Pelaco. In 1922 the company established its factory at 23 Goodwood Street on the top of Richmond Hill; the 4.3 metre high neon 'Pelaco' sign, erected in 1939, is today heritage listed. The company was known for its innovative approach to efficiency and labour relations, discontinuing Saturday morning work in 1908 and appointing an industrial relations officer in 1928. Lin married Elsie Russell on 12 January 1915 at St Mary's Catholic Cathedral in Sydney and they lived most of their life in Brighton. In 1920 they moved into 'Blairgowrie', 306 St Kilda Street, The eldest their four children, Pauline Margaret Law (born 15 December 1915) ultimately purchased the house with her husband Hugh McLean in 1956 and lived there until 1965 when the house was demolished.

Physical description

Cream silk jacket block-printed with art deco style pattern in red, blue, black and mustard colours. Lined with soft apricot-coloured satin. Wide stand collar. Front fastens low on hip with four silk covered buttons.

Inscriptions & markings

Label, woven brown on cream silk, centre back: Eileen / Mulholland / Ltd. / 43, Wigmore St., / LONDON. W1.

References