8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana
Silver cup with two handles mounted on Bakelite base being the McClure Cup for most efficient NCO in Albury Battery 1935-36 . inscription on side of cup.
Battery Quartermaster Sergeant Harold Bauerle served with the Albury Battery in the 1920s and 1030s.
Shortly following Federation the military unit in Albury was redesignated No 4 New South Wales Battery Australian Field Artillery (AFA). It was under the command of Major John Wilkinson, an Albury solicitor and comprised about 100 citizen soldiers, 4 guns and about 40 horses. Training centred on the Albury Drill Hall located in Victoria Street. A reorganisation in 1912 resulted in the Battery being named No 17 Battery AFA.
When war broke out in 1914 the Battery then under the command of Major Joseph Shellshear, and Albury doctor, offered its services as a trained artillery battery to the Australian Imperial Force (AIF). The Battery cooled its heels and continued to train till July 1915 when a second division was raised in the AIF and trained artillery was needed.
When the call came 150 officers and men of the 17th Battery went into the AIF, many to the 13th Battery with Major Shellshear in command and others to other AIF batteries of the 4th and 5th Artillery Brigades. The 13th Battery was adopted immediately by the townsfolk of Albury as the Albury Battery.
The Battery served in France and Belgium and was involved in all the major battles fought by the Australians perhaps most notably at Noreuil where the Battery found itself surrounded but continued to fight till eventually the enemy was driven back. Following the war members of the Battery nominated this battle as their most significant achievement and consequently a newly developed recreational reserve on the Murray River foreshore was named Noreuil Park.
In 1919 the Battery resumed training as part of the Citizen Military Forces or Militia. Changes of title were frequent, first 27th Battery, then 60th Battery and finally 40th Battery AFA. Battery commanders included Captain Leslie Colquhoun, an Albury real estate agent, Captain Roy Collings, Albury town clerk and Captain Clifton Mott a newspaper editor.
The Depression of the early 1930s almost brought about the closure of the Albury Battery but it survived through the intervention of the mayor, Alderman Alfred Waugh, who made direct representation to the Minister for Defence.
When the Second World War erupted in 1939, the Battery was at full strength and a rich source of officers and trained men for the second AIF. Militia training of the few remaining officers and Albury adopted the 2/23rd Infantry Battalion which had been raised at the Showground.
Following WWII, CMF soldiering recommenced in the form of an armoured regiment, the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles. After nearly a half a century of service in war and peace the Albury Battery has faded and exists now in this collection of objects and images.
This trophy is representative of community support for a Citizen Military Forces unit drawn from a regional NSW Town in the period between the World Wars.
Inscriptions & Markings
"McClure Cup / for / Most efficient NCO / 1935-36 / won by / BQMS H.C. Bauerle"