From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- Ankle-length full cream linen skirt with multi-coloured cross stitch embroidery featuring mountains, birds and trees. Fullness is pleated into wide waist band. Left side opening. The fabric widths have been whipped together by hand probably at the time the cloth was woven in the late-nineteenth century. The skirt is machine stitched.
- skirt, linen, hand woven, embroidery, ithaca
- Cream linen woven by donor Olga Black's great-grandmother Efstathia from flax grown on the island of Ithaca. The fabric was later made into skirt and hand embroidered by Olga in the 1950s. Olga was born in Melbourne in 1930.
- late-nineteenth century & 1950s
- Olga Black, Efstathia (weaver)
- 22 Oct 2018 at 11:34AM