Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES
466-38: Rev Alexander Robb, DD. Rev Robb had been a missionary in Old Calabar and Jamaica and was the first minister of the Cowes Presbyterian Church from 1890-1901. Services were also held in the Public Hall at Rhyll. A daughter, Kathleen, like her parents, is buried in the cemetery. Kathleen was married to Harry West.
466-39: James Hill. Jimmy, as he was fondly called, came to Phillip Island in 1920 and purchased the Hotel, known as Woods Family Hotel (later the Phillip Island Hotel in Walpole Street). A milestone occurred whilst in his capable hands he installed an electric light plant, (32 volts), the first on the Island. He also made hundreds of cement bricks with which he built his own home. He died in 1937 aged 68. His only child Dorothy Edhouse aged 98, is also buried with her father.
The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.