Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen
Various items relating to the Federation University Mount Helen Campus, and the early settlers on the land, the Latta Family.
.1) Parish Plan, including E. Latta, M. Fiscalini, R. Wynne, R. Nixon, J.U. Smith, J. Davis
.2) Part of a 1930s ordinance map showing Ballarat, Buninyong and Greenhill
.3) Contour Map with the first two Mt Helen Campus buildings included.
.4) Drawing a a proposed campus plan
.5) Latta Family negative
The Federation University Mt Helen Campus was once the farm of John Latta and his wife Elizabeth Ann Dean. The couple married in 1867 and had three children at the time of John Latta's death (Elizabeth Ann b.1870; Mary b.1873; John b.1875). Elizabeth later married George Downing, and had another six children.
The house was situated in the vicinity of the current Administration and Caro Conference Centre buildings, surrounded by an orchard, and a well under the current Albert Coates Building (Union Building).
The land was purchased by the Ballarat School of Mines for their tertiary division from the Stapleton family.