Historical information

Chatham School, located in Weybridge Street Surrey Hills, was opened on 1 August 1927 following pressure from local residents as nearby schools (Balwyn, Mont Albert & Surrey Hills) were all over-crowded. This followed a surge in development following WW1. Land in surrounding streets was sub-divided. This included part of John Butler Maling (Jnr)'s small farm bounded by Banool Road, Wharton Road, Weybridge Street and Whitehorse Road. An area surrounding his home, 'The Willows' was retained and not sold until after he died in 1931. leased by Mr John Butler Maling in 1861. Three acres of his land were purchased by the Education Department. Some of the early students have referred to Chatham’s land as Mr Maling’s bull paddock. Some of the original yellow box trees remain on the property. The most significant of these is now called the Friendship Tree. On 1 August 1927 212 students were enrolled; Ralph Rae was one of these. The school was official opened on 15th February 1928. The school number is 4314.
Front row centre is Jocelyn Cerini who married Ken Hall, another Chatham student.

Physical description

A black and white photograph of a group of Grade 2 female students from Chatham State School. They are dressed in white.