Historical information

In 1854 in Melbourne George Rolfe Senior established an import business dealing in groceries, wines and spirits and tea. His son George, born in England, took over the business of Rolfe and Co in 1871. A keen sportsman, George Rolfe’s love of fishing led him to take frequent holidays in Warrnambool. He began buying blocks of land near the mouth of the Hopkins River in Warrnambool in the 1870s. By the 1880s Rolfe owned 50 acres in the Hopkins River area and named the property, Lyndoch. He built stables, chaff and bone sheds, a jetty, a boatshed, a water well, a windmill, a reservoir and extensive gardens. He also bought the nearby properties of Shipley and Fairy Hill, establishing a stud farm and breeding cattle. In 1891 he married Jane Ann Lake, the widow of his property manager, and when he died in 1919 his step-daughters, Florence and Annie Lake, inherited Lyndoch. The property was sold and became an aged care facility in 1952. The cutlery items were in use in the building erected by Florence Lake in 1920 and known today as Lyndoch but the ‘R’ monogram on the items suggest that they belonged to George Rolfe or even his father before him.


These cutlery items are of considerable importance as mementoes of George Rolfe and his family. They were prominent in Warrnambool’s history in the late 19th and early 20th centuries with the establishment and development of the property, Lyndoch, near the mouth of the Hopkins River.

Physical description

These are 17 pieces from a silver cutlery set that belonged to the Rolfe family (one tablespoon, six large forks, five smaller forks, four small spoons and one mustard spoon.) All the pieces of cutlery have a monogrammed ‘R’ at the end of the handles. Twelve of the items are tarnished and one small spoon is very worn. All the items have six hallmarks.

Inscriptions & markings