This tin came from the Sunshine Biscuit Factory in Ballarat. James Long established a confectionery business in Ballarat in 1854 and in 1921 it was known as the Sunshine Biscuit Company. In 1923 the factory was destroyed by fire and rebuilt. During World War Two 80% of the factory products went to the armed services. In 1947 the company was known as Ballarat Products Ltd and in 1962 it was called Sunshine Biscuits Ltd. In 1977 the factory was used to produce dry pet food (Friskies). The building was closed in 1991 and the site developed to include a supermarket, shops and housing. Up till about the late 1950s biscuits were mostly not packaged but sold loose by the pound in grocery stores from tins such as this. Broken biscuits were also sold at a cheaper price. Some biscuits were also sold at that time in smaller tins.
This tin is of interest as an example of the tins from which biscuits were sold in the first half of the 20th century. It will be useful for display.
This is a rectangular-shaped biscuit tin which is much rusted. The tin has a multi-coloured paper label that has been pasted around the sides. Much of this label has been torn away. The label shows images of biscuits. There is printing on the label and on the bottom of the tin.
Inscriptions & markings
‘Sunshine Raspberry Smiles’
‘Ballarat Products Ltd.’
‘This tin is not sold with the contents thereof but remains the property of Sunshine Biscuit Co Ballarat’
‘Made in Australia 054’