Bluthner piano dated 1889 (patent no. 32310). PWD engraved imprint to wood.
"The Bluthner grand piano came second-hand to the Chalet in 1920 when it was obtained by lessee, Hilda Samsing. This high quality German piano, which stands out as an item of individual significance, is now one of the oldest furnishings in the Chalet. When it was acquired in 1920, the Chalet already had a Beale brand upright piano which had been at the Chalet from the earliest days." (Pg. 77 Historica. 2011)
'A photograph taken of the Music Room (also known as the Drawing Room) between 1920 and 1924, when Hilda Samsing was lessee is one of the earliest known photographs of the Chalet's lounge areas. Published in the undated promotional booklet, Victoria's Wonderland Mount Buffalo, it shows 'A corner of the music room'... On the right, is the Chalet's second piano, which was purchased second-hand in 1920 from Gardner & Lang in Swanston Street, Melbourne. This impressive grand piano of walnut wood still stands in the Chalets Music Room. It was made in the world-famous factory of Julius Bluthner, in Leipzig, Germany, which has made Bluthner pianos since 1853 for numerous royals, composers, conductors, artists, authors and performers including Brahms, Mahler, Bartok, Debussy, Wagner, Strauss, Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff. The present stool is not part of the ensemble." ( Pg. 42. Historica )
Listed in Draft Inventory of Significant Collection Items. Appendix A.1. Furnishings, Lounges and Hallways (Pg 163. Historica
"Bluthner" grand piano made from walnut wood with accomanying wooden stool.(not matching). Piano features three large turned and carved legs on brass castors. Pedals on piano are solid brass, surrounded by carved and turned wooden pedal stand. Stool seat slants towards piano and two plain stretchers support four curved legs. Has 'PWD' stamped on it.
PWD engraved imprint to wood.