Possibly used as a tool to rescue people who may have been in distress in the ocean off Gabo Island. It was removed from Cape Otway and returned to Gabo Island museum. Information printed in black on the orange, plastic, ring shaped buoy confirms the item’s association with Gabo Island Lightstation and also indicates that it was made in Australia by the Rotadyne company for the Department of Transport, which oversaw lightstations between 1950 and 1982, and 1983 and 1987. The buoy was repatriated to Gabo Island from Cape Otway Lightstation in July 2015. It is unknown how it came to be there or how long it had been there.
It has second level contributory significance for its historic value and provenance.
Circular orange plastic ring with printed in black around ring. Ring has raised inscription. Remnants of white reflective tape in four places. White rope tied to ring through four holes in a distinctive taught crossed pattern at the back of the bouy.
Inscriptions & markings
On front printed in black, "GABO ISLAND LIGHTSTATION", and embossed "MADE IN AUSTRALIA', 'DEPT. OF TRANSPORT / APPROVAL CERT. No 2315' On reverse, 'ROTADYNE'