Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Hat Khaki Fur Felt

From the Collection of 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room Simpson Barracks Macleod Victoria

Description
Hat Khaki Fur Felt with green cloth single band puggaree which has cotton Volunteer Defence Corps badge sewn on, brass rising sun badge on brim
Size
360 x 270 x 130 mm
Object Registration
1627
Historical information
The Volunteer Defence Corps (VDC) was an Australian part-time volunteer military force of World War II modelled on the British Home Guard. The VDC was established in July 1940 by the Returned and Services League of Australia (RSL) and was initially composed of ex-servicemen who had served in World War 1. The government took over control of the VDC in May 1941 and gave the organisation the role of training for guerrilla warfare, collecting local intelligence and providing static defence of each unit's home area. General Harry Chauvel, who had retired in 1930, was recalled to duty in 1940 and appointed Inspector-General of the VDC. Chauvel held this position until his death in March 1945. Following the outbreak of the Pacific War, the Government expanded the VDC in February 1942. Membership was open to men aged between 18 and 60, including those working in reserved occupations. As a result, the VDC reached a peak strength of almost 100,000 in units across Australia. As the perceived threat to Australia declined, the VDC's role changed from static defence to operating anti-aircraft artillery, coastal artillery and searchlights. Members of inland VDC units were freed from having to attend regular training in May 1944 and the VDC was officially disbanded on 24 August 1945
When Made
est 1940's
Made By
RG & RI Stebbins (Maker)
Inscriptions & Markings
Maker's label on head band -RG & RI Stebbins, 14 Willow Court, Donald , Vic 3480
Last updated
20 Aug 2018 at 10:13AM