Thomas Redford came to Warrnambool in 1864 and worked in the produce store of his uncle, Frederick Stevens, a business that had been established at the corner of Fairy and Timor Streets in 1857. In 1879 Thomas Redford became the proprietor of this business under the trading name of T. Redford and Co. Thomas Redford was a noted sportsman in Warrnambool (cricket and football) and a Town Councillor from 1884 to 1890. One of his sons, Thomas, was a Major in World War One and was killed in 1915 in the Battle of the Nek. The business of T. Redford and Co was continued after Redford’s death in 1907 by family members and ceased to trade in the early 1920s.
This demijohn is of interest as it came from the business of T. Redford & Co, a business operating in Warrnambool for over 40 years.
This is a stoneware demijohn with a beige-coloured base and body and a brown neck and opening. The circular opening is chipped on the edges. The name of the seller of the contents is on the opening section.
Inscriptions & markings
‘T. Redford & Co. Warrnambool’