Photograph - Halsey's Store
From the Collection of Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum 49 Hogan S Tatura VIC
- Black and white photograph of Halsey's store, Byrneside, exterior.
- L 25 cm x W 20 cm
- byrnside post office, byrnside general store, a. w halsey, a. & c. golightly, annual cup day, byrneside red cross, stephen o'toole, w. sheales, buckley bros., j. taylor, l. martin, a. fleming, l. halfpenny
- Byrneside Post Office and general store built to replace first store, burned in 1902. Conducted by A. W. Halsey 1936-1974. This store also burned down January 1979. Owners A. & C. Golightly. A new modern store was rebuilt.
A store which also served as Post Office was operating when the district was known as the Junction, the name being changed to Baldwinsville in 1880 and Byrneside in 18985. It was established by John Morrissy, a local teacher.
This store was burned to the ground in 1902. The storekeeper at that time was Stephen O'Toole. Other owners were W. Sheales, Buckley Bros., J. Taylor, L. Martin, A. Fleming, L. Halfpenny and A. W. Halsey conducted the business from 1936 till Mr Golightly took over in 1974.
From 1926 to 1966 the storekeeper was also in charge of the telephone exchange.
For a number of years the beautiful gardens was the venue for the annual cup day garden party run by the Byrneside Red Cross
- Daryl Walker (Maker)
- on back: Per courtesy of Ian Lynch, Tatura, Tatura and District Historical Society
- 31 Aug 2018 at 2:49PM