From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic
- Black and white photograph of soldier mounted on horse. Part of 20th Light Horse collection.
- 160mm x 110mm
- The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon its return in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion. It was disbanded following the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse regiment to serve overseas in WWII.
- This is one of a collection of photographs featuring a Light Horse regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria in the period immediately prior to mobilisation for World War 2 (1939-1945).
- " Warrant Officer V.G. Groutsch MM C Squadron 20th ALH. Served through ( out ) with Regt. to 20 Pnr Bn. until disbanded Captain on Discharge. "
- 4 Sep 2018 at 11:11AM