Historical information

The Lochiel barn was used as the church for all denominations until 1885 when the parishioners were offered the use of a school room, then used the Mechanics' Hall after it was built in 1887.
Mr James Cameron, fostered the developing Church, not only by allowing his barn at Lochiel Park to be used for Church services but also by making a home there for Mr Martin ,First Church of England clergyman stationed at Orbost - 1884-1891 over a period of years, until a small Vicarage was built on the spot where the present church stands. From Mr Cameron’s barn the church migrated to the school building erected in the main street and thence after a short time to the Mechanics Hall, built in 1887.


This item is reminiscent of the late 19th - mid 20th centuries when church-going was more common.

Physical description

A very old black / white photograph of a house with a barn in the background. The house is on a bush block with many trees around it.

Inscriptions & markings

on back - handwritten "From Mrs N Edgar, 4 "Heecer" Parade....... Lochiel + Barn M. Gilbert"