The 3 front blocks facing Union Road were subdivided off in circa 1967, so this building now faces Barton Street. Since 1984 it has been a private residence. It was originally built in c1890 and from 1896 it was used as facilities for Surrey College, a private boys' boarding school. Dr F Darling was Principal. From 1935-1960s it became Nethercourt Private Hospital. This had previously operated from 1921 in Wilson Street. Later it was known as St Jude's Hospital; this closed in 1983.
Black and white photo of Nethercourt Private Hospital taken from Union Road. It shows a 3 storey brick rendered building painted in a light colour. It is fronted by a paling fence and with a vacant area in the foreground, on which there is a bare-leafed mature tree to the right and an evergreen tree to the left. The fence appears to be new suggesting that the photo was taken at the time of subdivision of the land.
Inscriptions & markings
The original has the following inscriptions:
Top: In black biro "D Hall our collection / hall / family" in Jocelyn Hall's writing.
Below in lead pencil "Old entrance of / St Judes" - unknown hand; presumed to be Duncan Hall's.
In black biro in Jocelyn Hall's hand: "Taken c. 1976."