The Baby Health Centre opened in the Surrey Gardens in 1930 on the site previously occupied by the screen for outdoor pictures. Previously during the 1920s it had operated in the room underneath the rotunda in the Surrey Gardens. The room was also shared by other groups including the Surrey Hills Progress Association (SHPA). The SHPA raised 200 pounds to provide the materials for the building, which was built by voluntary labour under the leadership of Ralph Hayes, a local builder. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs A Latham, Mayoress of Camberwell on 31 March 1930. There is a bottle containing the names of the committee members sealed in the pillar behind the memorial stone. The centre was managed by a committee until 1975. Maternal health nurses associated with the centre included Sister D Thompson, Sister Newnham, Sister Kelsell, Sister Barker, Sister Sharp and Sister Bolton.
Ref: Mrs D Lancashire - a long-serving member of the committee.
The site of the Surrey Hills Maternal and Child Health Centre was moved to 18 Verdun Street, adjacent to the pre-school, in accord with Council policy to co-locate services and from a concern regarding solo staff working in relatively isolated locations. The building was included in the heritage overlay protecting the gardens and was refurbished by Council for community use.
The cairn commemorates the work of Cr Albert Ernest Vine who was a Camberwell Councillor from 1926-1934 and 1937-1944; he was also Mayor on 1940-41. There is a photo of him in Mayoral robes in the City of Boroondara Library Service collection.
Black and white photo of a timber building with a tiled roof and a brick veranda supported by brick and concrete pillars. In front of the baby health centre is a small cairn.