Historical information

The building was erected in c 1913 as a home / surgery for Dr James L Blakie (1868-1937), who originally lived / practised across the road. It was designed by architect Arthur William Plaisted (1890-1965) and is an early example of attic-style Californian bungalow style. Dr Carrington ( 1900-1970) succeeded Dr Blakie and practised at 174 Union Road from 1930-1970. Now known as the Surrey Hills Medical Centre.

Physical description

Black and white photo of the surgery and home of Dr and Mrs William Langley Carrington at 174 Union Road on the corner of Guildford Road, Surrey Hills.. The exterior of the building is decorated with paper lanterns around the windows and veranda for the Empire Day celebrations in 1935. The building is 2 storey, of brick construction with a tiled roof and front porch. It has a bay window front right. Shadows indicate the photo was taken early morning in winter.