Historical information

The railway extended through to Mont Albert in 1882, but it wasn't until 1890 that a station was built with funds raised by a syndicate of local landowners.The buildings on the south side of the railway were built in 1910-1911 in the Arts and Crafts style by architect, K W Hardy.
The land occupied by the Hamilton Street shops was subdivided in the 1880s and the first purpose-built shop was 'Pope and Moran, Grocers'. This shop later became Tom Morris' Grocery. By 1930 shops stretched along both sides of Hamilton Street and part way along Churchill Street.
The donor, the late Norman Carter held a significant collection of photos taken around Mont Albert and Surrey Hills, in particular subjects related to the Church of England.

Physical description

Black and white photo taken from the centre of the road in Churchill Street, Mont Albert. Mont Albert station is on the RHS fenced off by a post and rail fence. Shops can be seen at the intersection of Hamilton and Churchill Streets. There do not appear to be any shops in Churchill Street. There are newly planted street trees within paling guards on the LHS. There does not appear to be any curb and channelling at the side of the road.

Inscriptions & markings

Rear in blue biro in Jocelyn Hall's handwriting "Mont Albert Station 1919".