Historical information

The foundation stone for St George's Church of England, Mont Albert was laid in 1886 on land donated by Edward Dyer and the first service was preached in January 1887. From 1904 until 1907 it was known as Holy Trinity, Surrey Hills. The original church was weatherboard and replaced by a brick one in the Gothic Revival style which was designed by local architect George J V Blackburne, who also designed the Wesleyan School at Surrey Hills. The building was partly funded by donations, profits from a bazaar and concert, and other people donated furnishings.
The church had boundaries along Mont Albert Road and St Georges Road. In 1998 the Church was sold and converted into a complex of units. Its current address is 19 St Georges Avenue, Mont Albert.
Norman Carter took many photos of Surrey Hills and Mont Albert from the 1920s, in particular of events and activities associated with the Church of England.

Physical description

Black and white photo of 4 men at a working bee in the grounds of St George's Anglican Church in Mont Albert. Two men are on a scaffold working on the weatherboards of the church; the other two are working on fencing. One boundary is marked with a paling fence; the other has a section of picket fencing and a large open section with no fencing. There is a mature eucalyptus tree in front of the church; others are beyond the paling boundary fence. The church itself is a simply constructed weatherboard building.