Maitland' was built in 1889 for Thomas Zeplin, who was a Professor of Music. He owned all the land bound by Union Road, Wilson and Montrose Streets and the railway line. 1 Bedford Avenue stayed in family ownership until purchased by Camberwell Council in 1986, initially for a car park. However it was renovated to become part of Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre. It was opened on 23 November 1990. No 3 Bedford Avenue was built for Thomas Zeplin's daughter and named 'Mervyl' or 'Merryl'. Mrs Brodecky (donor) was the great-granddaughter of Thomas Zeplin. The 2 girls are granddaughters of Thomas Zeplin. Electoral roll information: 1972 & 1977: Albert Vojteck Brodecky, manager, 1 Bedford Avenue. 1977: Ray Nanette Brodecky. There are 2 copies. Thomas had this built for his son and family. The house was occupied by his family, though sometimes rented out. His great-grand-daughter Mrs. A. Brodecky sold to the Camberwell Council in 1986. This was the only surviving photo in the family after the fire. Courtesy: Mrs. A. Brodecky
Black and white photo of 2 houses taken from the street front. On the LHS is a Victorian double-fronted single-storey villa of Hawthorn brick construction, with wrought iron lacework to the veranda, slate roof and picket fence, with an established garden. Next door at No 3 is a double-storey Victorian terrace with a similar fence and building materials. There are 2 young girls standing in front between the properties.