Historical information

Medlow was built in 1889 for Col Cairncross and named 'Willcyrus' after his sons William and Cyril. The Cairncross family was responsible for the planting of many of the trees, some sourced from Canada by one of the Cairncross sons.
The date is approximate.
The Bull family lived at 'Medlow' at 42 Warrigal Road, Surrey Hills from 1911.
Dr Richard Bull graduated MD, BS in 1904. He was a lecturer in bacteriology during WW1 and developed typhoid vaccines.
He was President of the British Medical Association (BMA), forerunner to the AMA, in 1926.
Dr Bull's wife Catherine (nee Perrier) was a lover and patron of music and the arts. Their daughter Norma was a well-known artist.
Mrs Bull was a great lover of music and the arts and made 'Medlow' available for the advance of these causes.
'Medlow' was bequeathed to the National Trust of Victoria by his son, Ronald Richard Bull, but it has since been sold back into private ownership.

Physical description

Black and white photo of groups of people in a garden setting, seated at tables with folding chairs and umbrellas. A Union Jack flag is flying.