Banner - Gray-Y Banner
From the Collection of Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Vic
- Blue material banner with gold fringe and inscription in middle.
- Banner 24.5cm (L) x 28cm (W), fringe 6.5cm on three sides of banner (not top)
- KVHS 1557
- textile, youth club, mt beauty, athletics club, gray-y club, kiewa hydro electric scheme
- The Athletics Club under the guidance of a committee of workers, which included Mr Stan Hemmings and Mr Alec McCullough, sponsored a Junior Athletics Club which became the Gray-Y Club for young boys and HY-Y for older lads. Mr A E Clark (YMCA) had the idea of adopting the American Gray-Y System which was to instill in the boys good principles and values similar to those of the service clubs i.e. YMCA, the Masons and Buffalo Lodge. Story has it that the town was virtually crime free for many years. The Athletics Club became a very powerful force in Mount Beauty and assisted other fledgling groups to get started. The committee had the bright idea that they could raise money and entertain the men who lived in the outlying camps by running sporting exhibitions by their members and the Gray-Y boys for entertainment.
- It is a connection to the early history of Mount Beauty regarding the start of an athletics club.
- Red material triangle inserted within banner and red material H and I (overlapping) sewed into the middle of the triangle
- 4 Oct 2018 at 1:10PM