Sash - Mount Beauty Garden Sash
From the Collection of Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Vic
- Royal blue sateen sash with gold fringe.
- Sash 97cm (L) x 14.5cm (W), fringe 6.5cm (L) x 14.5cm (W)
- KVHS 1556
- textiles, arboretum, mount beauty, garden competition, kiewa hydro electric scheme
- 1947 The SEC created an Arboretum and Nursery on the bank of the West Kiewa River. Householder could collect free plants, trees and topsoil for their gardens. It was not long before there was very keen competition amongst the families to create the best garden.
1948 A Mount Beauty Garden competition started with a first prize of 15 pounds, second 7 pounds and third 3 pounds. As the oldest garden in the competition was only 25 months old and most were younger a handicap system of 4 points per month was devised. Tom Mitchell MLA was the donor and judge.
1965 This sash was possibility worn by Jean McCullough in 1965 when the Mt Beauty & District Progress Association Auxiliary ran the completion.
- Mt. BEAUTY & DIST. PROGRESS ASSN. AUXILIARY/CHAMPION GARDEN/1965
- 4 Oct 2018 at 1:14PM