The Ballarat School of Mines was the first of its type in Australia. The Albert Street frontage was the 'working end' of the campus with the mining laboratory, gauge tower and caretakers cottage. All the structures in the foreground have been demolished to make way for the Flecknoe Building and the M.B. John Building.
The gauge tower is also depicted in the 1881 Annual Report.
Original double mounted and framed architectural plan for the Ballarat School of Mines Gauge Tower. The plan includes sections and elecation. Some areas have been coloured, and the drawing is at a scale of four feet to one inch.
Inscriptions & markings
Verso in ink "Gauge Tower School of Mines"
Signed left "H.R. Caselli architect 4.11.80