Historical information

In 1884 J.A. Petterson built the first Orbost Club Hotel with the licence in the name of Thomas Maguire (his stepson). This hotel was the first in the area and cost 1,400 pounds to build (ref. In Times Gone By - Deborah Hall) and was actually built before Orbost was proclaimed a township - April 17 1885. T.a. Marshall was the proprietor about the time the photograph was taken. This is the bottom pub in Orbost known as the Club Hotel.


The Orbost Club Hotel was the first hotel built in the Orbost district and was an important hub for the township with many whole town meetings held there.

Physical description

A black / white photograph on a brown buff card with embossed decorations. It is of the Orbost Club Hotel, a large two-storeyed building with verandahs on both levels. In the foreground are two motor vehicles and a group of men dressed in suits, hats and overcoats facing the camera.

Inscriptions & markings

on back - "Mrs Mustard"