Historical information

In 1878, Mrs Charlotte Anderson founded an private school for girls in her home at Bulleen Road, Kew (now 63 High Street South, Kew). She moved her school to ‘Edgecomb’, in Studley Park Road in 1882 and named it Ruyton. Charlotte Anderson retired in 1888, and sold her school to Miss Eliza Bromby. This image was used to illustrate The Ruytonian, June 1915, p2. The date of manufacture of the duplicate photograph is unknown.

Physical description

Black & white duplicate photograph of Mrs Charlotte Anderson with staff and a group of younger students from Ruyton Girls’ School, c.1885. The group is arranged in three rows of seated and standing individuals, and is located on a garden setting. The photograph was taken at ‘Edgecomb’, Studley Park Road, Kew which was the location of Ruyton from 1882-1888. Mrs Anderson is seated in the middle row, third from right.