Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew Kew, Victoria

The Ruyton Heritage Collection preserves and promotes the history of Ruyton Girls' School. Ruyton was founded in 1878 in Kew, Victoria and is an independent, non-denominational school for girls.

Contact Information

location
12 Selbourne Road KEW VIC 3101 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9819 2422

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

12 Selbourne Road Kew Victoria

View on Google Maps

16 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (16) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

16 items

Photograph of Mrs Charlotte Anderson with staff and students

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Black & white duplicate photograph of Mrs Charlotte Anderson with staff and a group of younger students from Ruyton Girls’ School, c.1885. The group is arranged in three rows of seated and standing individuals, and is located on a garden setting. The photograph was taken at ‘Edgecomb’, Studley Park Road, Kew which was the location of Ruyton from 1882-1888. Mrs Anderson is seated in the middle row, third from right.

Historical information

In 1878, Mrs Charlotte Anderson founded an private school for girls in her home at Bulleen Road, Kew (now 63 High Street South, Kew). She moved her school to ‘Edgecomb’, in Studley Park Road in 1882 and named it Ruyton. Charlotte Anderson retired in 1888, and sold her school to Miss Eliza Bromby. This image was used to illustrate The Ruytonian, June 1915, p2. The date of manufacture of the duplicate photograph is unknown.

Bromby House Blazer Pocket

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Navy blue wool flannel blazer pocket with Ruyton badge and motto embroidered in gold bullion. Blue and gold Bromby House colour ribbon across the top of the pocket opening. Colours also embroidered in gold bullion for tennis, basketball, hockey and athletics.

Historical information

Worn by a Ruyton Prefect 1942-1943; Joint Editor of The Ruytonian 1942-1943; Vice Captain Bromby House 1942-1943; General and Library Committees 1943; Sports Committees 1942-1943; Captain Hockey and Running 1943.

Inscriptions & Markings

RECTE ET FIDELITER BBIX HXI ATHS

Ruyton Girls' School Lapel Badge

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Lapel badge with Ruyton Girls' School crest and motto. Features ‘Old English R’ in gold, on an dark royal blue background. The 'R' is framed in a double gold banded ellipse shape with ribbon banner underneath showing motto on gold lettering. Reverse has pin to attach badge to clothing of other items.

Historical information

A lapel badge worn by students of Ruyton Girls’ School in the 1990s and 2000s

Inscriptions & Markings

‘R’/ RECTE ET FIDELITER

Photographic Portrait - Mr Henry Henty

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Half-length, sepia-toned studio portrait of Mr Henry Henty (b.1833-d.1912). Mr Henty wears a dark suit and tie. His body is one quarter turned to his left, while he looks straight towards the camera. Photograph is mounted on cream card.

Historical information

Henry Henty (b.1833-d.1912) was a successful businessman, and briefly a MLA for the seat of Grenville, Victoria in 1866. He was one of three sons of James Henty, and nephew of Edward Henty who is considered to be the first permanent European colonist to take up residence in Victoria. Henry Henty and his wife Marion Ann Henty (nee McKellar) had ‘Tarring’, Kew built for their family in 1872. The Henty family resided at ‘Tarring’ until the death of Marion Henty in 1919. ‘Tarring’ was then sold to Ruyton Girls’ School, and the School moved to the site, (now 12 Selbourne Rd, Kew) in 1920. ‘Tarring’ was renamed ‘Henty House’ in honour of its original owners.

Girl Guides Flag Pole Finial

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Brass finial for a flag pole in the form of a trefoil. The trefoil has a five pointed star pierced into centre lobe and the alphabet character G impressed into each other lobe. (G G representing Girl Guides). The brass of the trefoil has a short cylindrical section which attaches to a flag pole.

Historical information

Used by a Girl Guides' group based at Ruyton Girls'School. Ruyton formed a Girl Guide Company in mid-1922, which continued, with a brief hiatus in 1924, until c.1945.

Inscriptions & Markings

G G

Anderson House Blazer Pocket

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Navy blue wool flannel blazer pocket with Ruyton badge embroidered in gold bullion, and red ribbon of Anderson House across the top of the pocket opening. "Colours" symbols also embroidered in gold thread.

Historical information

Worn by a Ruyton Prefect 1942-1943; member of the Joint editor The Ruytonian 1942-1943; Vice Captain Anderson House 1942-1943; General and Library Committees 1943; Sports Committees 1942-1943; Captain Hockey and Running 1943.

Photograph of Beatrice Henty in garden of Tarring

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Sepia toned photograph Miss Beatrice Henty in the garden of her home Tarring, Kew. The north east and south facades of the house are visible in the photo. Beatrice Henty is standing in the garden wearing a long gown and a large hat.

Historical information

Miss Beatrice Henty was the daughter of Henry and Marion Henty. Mr Henry Henty and his wife Mrs Marion Anne Henty (nee McKellar) had ‘Tarring’, Kew built for their family in 1872, and resided there until the death of Marion Henty in 1919. ‘Tarring’ was then sold to Ruyton Girls’ School, and the School moved to the site, (now 12 Selbourne Rd, Kew) in 1920. ‘Tarring’ was renamed ‘Henty House’ by Ruyton Girls' School in honour of its original owners. Ruyton Girls' School was founded in 1878, Miss Beatrice Henty attended the School before 1888.

Lascelles House Blazer Pocket

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Navy blue wool flannel blazer pocket with Ruyton crest embroidered in gold bullion and white silk. Lascelles House colours ribbon across the top of the pocket opening. Colours are for House Captain. Bar for boarding house prefect embroidered in gold bullion. Colours for Basketball, Athletics, Swimming, Hockey, Tennis. Lapel pin also attached.

Historical information

Worn by a Ruyton Prefect 1950; House Prefect 1950; member of the General and Sports Committees 1949-1950; Captain Baseball 1949; Captain Hockey, Tennis, and Athletics 1950.

Inscriptions & Markings

BBIX ATHS SW HXI RECTE ET FIDELITER

House Name Plate - Tarring

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Rectangular-shaped brass name plate for the house "Tarring". One screw-sized hole in each corner to allow name plate to be attached to a building, (total of four). Reverse of nameplate is flat.

Historical information

Henry Henty and his wife Marion Anne Henty (nee McKellar) had ‘Tarring’, Kew built for their family in 1872. Their house was named for Tarring, Sussex, the Henty familys' ancestral home in the United Kingdom. The Henty family resided at ‘Tarring’, Kew until the death of Marion Henty in 1919. ‘Tarring’ was sold to Ruyton Girls’ School in 1920, and the School moved to the site, (now 12 Selbourne Rd, Kew) in that year. ‘Tarring’ was renamed ‘Henty House’ by Ruyton in honour of its original owners.

Inscriptions & Markings

TARRING

Old Ruytonians' Association Lapel Badge

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Circular gold and blue enamel lapel badge comprising of the Ruyton Girls' School crest encircled by the School motto and the letters ORA. Pin on reverse.

Historical information

The Old Ruytonians Association formed in 1908 and is the alumnae association of Ruyton Girls’ School, Kew, Victoria.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front: RECTE ET FIDELITER/R/0.R.A Stamped on reverse: 'STOKES MELB'

Photograph - Whole School with Miss Bromby 1909

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Black & white photograph of Principal Miss Eliza Bromby, with the students and staff of Ruyton Girls’ School, in 1909. The group is arranged in four rows of seated and standing individuals, with the school’s main building behind them. The photograph has been mounted on grey card. It was taken at Ruyton, corner of A’Beckett & Barry Streets, Kew. Miss Bromby is seated in the second front row, ninth from left. Her co-Principal Miss Emilie Lascelles is probably the woman seated beside her. Miss Hilda Daniell, Principal of Ruyton 1913-1952, stands in the second from top row, eleventh from left.

Historical information

Miss Eliza Bromby was Principal of Ruyton Girls’ School, 1888-1910. She shared her Principalship with business partners Mrs Louise Gubbins & Miss Lilian Irving 1888-1895, and Miss Emilie Lascelles 1900-1910. Ruyton Girls' Schools was founded in 1878. From 1889-1920 Ruyton was located on the corner of Abeckett and Barry Streets, Kew

Souvenir tea spoon

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Souvenir tea spoon with a decorative circular medallion at the end of the handle. The medallion features the Ruyton Girls' School 'Old English' R crest in gold and blue enamel. The tea spoon is presented in a clear plastic rectangular presentation case lined with blue card. The case has a circular gold sticky label with text; "Ruyton Remembers 1878-1978".

Historical information

Ruyton Girls' School was founded in 1878 and celebrated it's centenary in 1978. The souvenir tea spoon was part of a range of celebration merchandise offered to the school community.

Inscriptions & Markings

Tea spoon: 'R'; 1978 Case lining: Stokes Sticker: Ruyton Remembers 1878-1978

Photographic Portrait

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Full length, sepia toned studio portrait of Mrs Marion Henty (b.1838-d.1919). Mrs Henty is standing, hold holds a book in front of her while looking to her left.

Historical information

Marion Anne McKellar, the daughter of William Gilbert McKellar and Maria Jones was born in 1838. She married Henry Henty in 1859 and they had 9 children. She died in June 1919. Henry Henty and his wife Marion had ‘Tarring’, Kew built for their family in 1872. The Henty family resided at ‘Tarring’ until the death of Marion Henty in 1919. ‘Tarring’ was then sold to Ruyton Girls’ School, and the School moved to the site, (now 12 Selbourne Rd, Kew) in 1920. ‘Tarring’ was renamed ‘Henty House’ in honour of its original owners.

Ruyton 140 Years lapel badge

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Ruyton 140 Years circular lapel badge made of zinc alloy with blue infill. Features mid-blue background with white Ruyton 140 years crest comprised of the School's Old English R crest with fig leaves. The lapel pin is held in place by a zinc butterfly clip. Pin comes mounted on a square piece of cardstock printed with Parents of Ruyton crest.

Historical information

Ruyton Girls' School was founded in 1878 and celebrated 140 years in 2018. The lapel badge was given to staff and students who attended the School in 2018.

Inscriptions & Markings

1878-2018 / R/ RECTE ET FIDELITER/ 140 YEARS POR/ R/ PARENTS OF RUYTON/ CELEBRATING/ 140 YEARS 2018

Ruyton Straw School Hat

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Straw school hat with upturned brim and navy blue ribbon around crown. Ribbon features a Ruyton Girls' School crest embroidered in yellow gold thread on front. On the underside of the brim the straw hat is coloured navy blue. Hat comes together with a fitted plastic protective covering.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed cotton label: CREATED BY/VARDEN/MELB/SILICONE FINISH Reverse side of label: NAME/LARA

Ruyton Girls' School Beret

Ruyton Heritage Collection, Ruyton Girls' School, Kew, Kew

Navy blue wool felt beret. Features additional square cloth panel hand sewn onto centre front. Panel shows embroidered Ruyton Girls' School crest of an 'Old English' alphabet character 'R' in gold thread on navy blue background. Interior of beret is plain.

Historical information

Worn by a Ruyton Girls' School student 1984-1990 as part of winter school uniform.

Inscriptions & Markings

'R'