Needle case and needles
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a wooden case, elliptical in shape, with a detachable lid. The case is pointed at both ends. The lid is bound at one end with several strands of string. The case contains twelve metal needles of varying lengths and eye hole sizes. Two of the needles have curved ends and several have flattened middle sections. The needles are much rusted and the case is stained.
- L 16 cm. W 3.5 cm. (case)
- vintage tools, henry phillips
- This item is one of several in a collection of tools that are believed to have been owned by the Warrnambool carpenter and businessman, Henry Phillips. The needles are bag needles, used with leather or string to sew up and enclose hessian bags etc. English-born Henry Phillips (1821-1896) came to Australia with his wife Elizabeth in 1849. They lived for some time in Port Fairy. In 1865 Henry formed a partnership with Christopher Beattie to establish the Warrnambool undertaking business of Beattie and Phillips. This business continued on after the deaths of the founders and lasted until the year 2000. In Warrnambool Henry Phillips was involved in the management of the Mechanics Institute.
- Late 19th century
- Made in England
- 4 Dec 2018 at 9:23AM