From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a metal rod in a u-bend shape with a wooden handle in the middle of the bend and another circular wooden handle at one end of the metal rod. There is a metal piece at the other end of the rod for the insertion of a drill and a turning stud for clamping the drill in place.
- L 30 cm. W 8 cm.
- vintage tools, henry phillips, warrnambool, history of warrnambool
- This tool is one of several tools that are believed to have belonged to the Warrnambool carpenter and businessman, Henry Phillips. English-born Henry Phillips (1821-1896) came to Australia with his wife Elizabeth in 1849. They lived for some years in Port Fairy. In 1865 Henry formed a partnership with Christopher Beattie and established the Warrnambool undertaking business of Beattie and Phillips. This business continued on after the deaths of the founders and lasted until the year 2000. In Warrnambool Henry Phillips was involved in the management of the Mechanics Institute.
- Late 19th century
- This item is of some interest as a good example of a vintage tool and as a memento of the Warrnambool carpenter and businessman, Henry Phillips.
- 4 Dec 2018 at 11:29AM