This tool is one of a collection of tools which are believed to have belonged to the Warrnambool carpenter and businessman, Henry Phillips. English-born Henry Phillips (1821-1896) came to Australia with his wife Elizabeth in 1849. They lived for some time in Port Fairy and in 1865 Henry Phillips formed a partnership with Christopher Beattie and established the Warrnambool undertaking business of Beattie and Phillips. This business continued on after the deaths of the founders and lasted until the year 2000. In Warrnambool Henry Phillips was involved in the management of the Mechanics’ Institute.
This tool is of interest as a good example of a vintage tool and as a memento of the Warrnambool carpenter and businessman, Henry Phillips.
This is a small plane tool with a rectangular body which is slightly curved. A metal blade resting on a piece of wood has been inserted at the top and protrudes at the base to form a planing blade.