Photograph. - THE 8TH BATTALION IN CAMP AT ELCHO FARM, GEELONG IN 1934.
From the Collection of Lara RSL Sub Branch McClelland Ave Lara Victoria
- Rectangular shaped black and white photograph.
- 295mm x 210mm.
- 8th battalion, ww1, australian infantry, lara r.s.l.
- The 8th Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Australian Army. Initially raised in 1914 for the First Australian Imperial Force during the First World War the battalion was completely recruited from Victoria and formed part of the 2nd Brigade, 1st Division. During the war it fought at Gallipoli and in France and Belgium on the Western Front. It was disbanded in 1919, before being re-raised as a Militia battalion in 1921.
- During the Second World War the 8th Battalion was used primarily as a garrison unit before taking part in the Bougainville campaign late in the war. It was disbanded again in 1946 during the demobilisation process, although it was reformed again in 1948 when it was amalgamated with the 7th Battalion. Today, its honours and traditions are perpetuated by the 8th/7th Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment.
- THE AUSTRALIAN, May 3, 1941.
THE 8TH BATTALION IN CAMP AT ELCHO FARM, GELONG IN 1934.
- 24 Jan 2019 at 10:39AM