From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a metal tool with a curved centre section and two hollow pieces at the ends acting as handles. The blade for planing is curved and the degree of the curving can be changed by the adjustment of two metal screws.
- L 21 cm. W 3.5 cm. D 3 cm.
- vintage tools, henry phillips, warrnambool
- This item is one of several tools that are believed to have belonged to the Warrnambool carpenter and businessman, Henry Phillips. English-born Henry Phillips (1821-1896) came to Australia with his wife Elizabeth in 1849. They lived for some time in Port Fairy. In 1865 Henry formed a partnership with Christopher Beattie and established the Warrnambool undertaking business of Beattie and Phillips. This business continued on after the deaths of the founders and lasted until the year 2000. In Warrnambool Henry Phillips was involved in the management of the Mechanics Institute.
- Late 19th century
- This item is of interest as an example of a vintage tool and as a memento of the Warrnambool carpenter and businessman, Henry Phillips.
- 13 Dec 2018 at 5:01PM