black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A large black / white photograph of a man, dressed in shorts and a checked shirt, sitting on a fence post surrounded by mud. He is holding on to the leg of a cow which is stuck in the mud.
- H-254mm W-395mm
- floods-orbost-1971 tracey-dairy natural-disaster-flood
- This photograph was taken during the 1971 floods at Orbost.
The 1971 flood was the the worst flood on record. At Jarrahmond it was at least 11 metres and up to one and a half kilometres wide on the flats causing enormous damage to the flood plain. Records say that "The brown floodwater stain in Bass Strait could be seen from passing airliners." Considerable damage was done to railway infrastructure, roads and farms.
More information from the APRIL, 2008 newsletter by John Phillips. (see orbosthistory.com.au)
- 11 February 1971
- This is a contemporary pictorial record of a significant local event.
- on front - "Mr Harrison on Tracey's Dairy"
on back - " Herald 11 Feb 1971"
- 10 Jan 2019 at 12:53PM