black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of a large group of people in the background with three horse carriages under trees. Some ladies are sitting in the open carriages which are parked underneath tress. Some are holding open umbrellas.
It is on a grey buff card.
- H-116mm W-184mm
- equestrian orbost-horse-racing recreation
- This photograph shows spectators watching the Orbost Races on the flat in 1899.
Some of the earliest horse races were held on a course in a paddock belonging to Mr James Cowell at Jarrahmond. For a long time horse races were part of the Marlo Picnic Races. Bellagoogan on Majors Creek near Orbost was the site of the first race course.
- This item is a pictorial record depicting the popularity of horse racing in Orbost in the late 19th century.
- on front - " On the flat. Orbost Races 1899"
- 27 May 2019 at 3:47PM