black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph mounted on brown car. There are five rows of school children standing outside a wooden building. Some are sitting and others standing. A female teacher is seated on a chair in the second front row. A girl in the front row is holding a card - "Grades 111 & 1V Orbost".
- H-152mm W-250mm
- orbost-state-school education-primary-schools
- This is the annual photograph of Grades 111 and 1V for pupils of the Orbost State School.
The 19th of March 1886 proved an important day in the lives of many early settlers in the Orbost area, because on this day the Orbost State School opened. The fact that the school had first operated temporarily in a leased building, and on a half-time basis with SS2745 Jarrahmond, did not dampen the enthusiasm of the local inhabitants as they saw their offspring commence their education under the guidance of Head Teacher Campbell Mackay. However he remained in charge only until 12th of May 1886. The second Head Teacher, John Rowe, served until 1908. On 30th of June 1887, a portable room was provided; it being brought to the area by schooner. The school now had accommodation for 30 pupils; the teacher's welfare was considered because quarters of two rooms were attached. As the population increased so did the needs of the school. This was reflected in the provision of a larger classroom in 1898.
- early 20th century
- Vogt. W.S. (Maker)
- This item is associated with the history of education in Orbost.
- on front - "W. Stanley Vogt Bairnsdale"
- 27 May 2019 at 3:46PM