black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph (copy) of a punt loaded with people and a horse-drawn carriage making its way across a river.
- H-127mm W-195mm
- snowy-river-orbost transport shipping
- A punt crossed the Snowy River at Orbost from 1884. A bridge was constructed in 1893, but was soon damaged by a huge flood. Flooding was a regular occurrence, the worst inundations being in 1870, 1893, 1925, 1934, 1952 and 1971. Over the years major flood protection works have been implemented. The Princes Highway, which passes Orbost, now crosses the flood plain on raised concrete supports. (info, from Victorian Places Orbost)
- late 19th century
- This item is associated with the Snowy River and its history. It is a pictorial record of transport in the late 19th century.
- on front at bottom - "Snowy River Punt"
- 15 Jan 2019 at 11:47AM