black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A small black / white photograph of man with three children sitting in a hollowed out pumpkin in water. An Australian flag is on the left side of the pumpkin.
- H-87mm W-105mm
- mundy-fred pumpkins-orbost
- The pumpkin in this photograph was an award winner and was grown by Fred Mundy Snr. It weighed 194 lbs (approx. 88 kgs).
Pumpkins were grown widely on Orbost farms and used to feed pigs.
There was usually a competition for the heaviest or biggest pumpkin at the annual Orbost agricultural Show.
- first half 20th century
- This photograph is associated with the history of pumpkin growing in the Orbost district.
- on back - "Alec Cameron, Mr Fred Mundy" ; "Record pumpkin - Mr Fred Mundy 194lbs"
- 27 May 2019 at 3:40PM