black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph in a small cream coloured folio. It is of an older lady seated on a chair with a young child on her lap. The child is laughing.
- H-192mm W-140mm
- educatio-east-gippsland wairewa-state-school trevaskis-eveline
- the lady in this photograph is probably Mrs Eveline Trevaskis who taught at the Wairewa School. Mrs. Trevaskis taught school from her early 20’s in different parts of Victoria. She gave it up to get married, has four children and 11 grand-children. Four of her grand-children are at Wairewa school.
Mrs. Trevaskis went back to teaching during the wartime teacher shortage. She relieved at Buchan East State School for two years, getting up at 3.45 am to drive the 24 miles in pony and jinker. Wairewa State School, No. 3739 was built in 1923. The school closed at the end of 1973. Mrs Trevaskis was the teacher at Wairewa 1919-22 and 1945-1956. ( more information in News letter No. 123 NOVEMBER, 2015 - John Phillips)
- first half 20th century
- This item is associated with the history of education in East Gippsland.
- inside cover - "Teacher at Wairewa"
- 17 Jan 2019 at 11:24AM