From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- Made from a cow's horn, this is fawn to grey in colour with the narrow end more of a striped nature with the bottom section, a plain grey them cream. It remains a horn shape and has been filed to suit its purpose, that of a shoe horn.
- 17.5 cm x 5 cm at widest end and narrows to a rounded end on the other.
- warrnambool, history of warrnambool, shoe horn
- This shoehorn is a typical household item which has been used since the Middle Ages to assist in manipulating shoes onto the feet. They are made from a variety of materials with horn being a popular and common material and being readily available in many cases are simply honed down to a smooth shape. The age of this particular one is unknown.
- A common item made from natural material which would have historical and social interest and significance.
- 1 Feb 2019 at 11:51AM