Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photographs – Photocopied set of black and white photographs from the display folder put together by KVHS to document life on the Kiewa Valley Hydro-electric Scheme

From the Collection of Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Victoria

Description
PHYSICAL: Large A3 size spiral bound display folder containing 21 pages of photocopied black and white photographs of various aspects of the early days of the Kiewa Valley Hydro-electric scheme including equipment, various work sites and photographs of workers and their families.
1-Bridge across Tailrace Channel 1946 2-New Mess building, Mt Beauty 3-Homan’s Gap Saw Mill 4- Diamond Drilling Plant – Big Hill 5-Rocky Valley Camp-Mess Building 6-Parlimentary Party at Rocky Valley 7-No.4 Headrace Tunnel 8- Allis-Chalmers Tractor School 9- SECV Heavy Machinery lined up by road 10- No. 5 Raceline – Balasting Track with improvised truck
Object Registration
KVHS 1150 (B)
Historical information
Although the Kiewa Hydro-Electric Scheme was first proposed in 1911, construction did not commence until 1938. As part of the push to cut electricity costs and diversify supply, the Victorian Government (circa 1930) initiated the conversion from primarily brown coal supply to hydro – electricity. Field investigations during the 1940’s resulted in a new proposal for a scheme that had more than double the capacity of the 1938 scheme. The Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme became the largest scheme of its kind in the State Of Victoria and the second largest scheme in Australia. The number of personnel involved in the planning and construction of the scheme increased dramatically. During the late 1940’s, most activity centred around the construction of the West Kiewa Power Station, Rocky Valley Reservoir, McKay Creek Power Station and the Bogong Creek Aqueduct.
Significance
A common thread across all the larger hydro scheme constructions was the need for workers, both qualified and unqualified who came from around the world seeking a new life for themselves and their families. New accommodation and facilities were required for the army of workers engaged in construction in often remote and wild areas. The SEC had a high demand for timber, and set up the first of a number of sawmills at Bogong Creek in 1939 and set up the first hardwood logging in the headwaters of the Kiewa River. These new ‘towns’ such as Mt Beauty and Bogong, survived, serving the needs of operational personnel and their families, and expanding with growth of new industries. Mount Beauty, and to a lesser extent Bogong, are among these places.
Inscriptions & Markings
1-1946 – Bridge across tailrace channel Page number 9
2-New mess building, Mt Beauty 6.4.46 Page number 10
3- STATE ELECTRICITY COMMISSION OF VICTORIA Date: 10.1.47 Time: 11.40am No K2271 Kiewa Hydro Electric Works
Homan’s Gap Saw Mill – Rip Saw Page number 11
4- STATE ELECTRICITY COMMISSION OF VICTORIA Date: 5.10.47 Time: 11am No K4111 Kiewa Hydro Electric Works
Diamond Drilling Plant – Big Hill Page number 12
5- STATE ELECTRICITY COMMISSION OF VICTORIA Date: 11.2.48 Time: 3pm No K4277 Kiewa Hydro Electric Works
Rocky Valley Camp-Mess Building Page number 13
6- STATE ELECTRICITY COMMISSION OF VICTORIA Date: 15.4.48 Time: 4.30pm No K4397 Kiewa Hydro Electric Works
Parlimentary Party at Rocky Valley Page number 14
7- STATE ELECTRICITY COMMISSION OF VICTORIA Date: 22.8.48 Time: 9am No K4668 Kiewa Hydro Electric Works
General view of No.4 Headrace Tunnel Page number 15
8-STATE ELECTRICITY COMMISSION OF VICTORIA Date: 5.9.49 Time: 10am No K5180 Kiewa Hydro Electric Works
Allis-Chalmers Tractor School – HD 19, Mr I Crossthwaite at Controls Page number 16
9- No markings Page number 17
10- STATE ELECTRICITY COMMISSION OF VICTORIA Date: 7,12.49 Time: 4pm No K5423 Kiewa Hydro Electric Works
No. 5 Raceline – Balasting Track with improvised truck. Page number 18
Last updated
24 Jan 2019 at 9:45AM