Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photographs – Photocopied set of black and white photographs from the display folder put together by KVHS to document life on the Kiewa Valley Hydro-electric Scheme

From the Collection of Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Victoria

Description
Large A3 size spiral bound display folder containing photocopied black and white photographs of various aspects of the early days of the Kiewa Valley Hydro-electric scheme including equipment, various work sites and photographs of workers and their families.
1-Breakdown in Circuit Breaker (Isolating Contacts) 2-Big Hill Bench- Site of No 5 Devlopment 3-No 1 Power Station 4-No 1 Pipeline, Anchor No 8 5-Push Dozing-RD8 Tractor 6- Tractor and driver at work 7- Workmen in unnamed tunnel 8- Front page of Journal of SECV Vol 15. Photograph of No 1 pipeline viewed from McKay Portal 9-Rocky Valley Dam Core Wall 10-Workmen working inside tunnel loading rocks into a rail truck.
Size
Various Sizes
Object Registration
KVHS 1150 (E)
Historical information
Although the Kiewa Hydro-Electric Scheme was first proposed in 1911, construction did not commence until 1938. As part of the push to cut electricity costs and diversify supply, the Victorian Government (circa 1930) initiated the conversion from primarily brown coal supply to hydro – electricity. Field investigations during the 1940’s resulted in a new proposal for a scheme that had more than double the capacity of the 1938 scheme. The Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme became the largest scheme of its kind in the State Of Victoria and the second largest scheme in Australia. The number of personnel involved in the planning and construction of the scheme increased dramatically. During the late 1940’s, most activity centered around the construction of the West Kiewa Power Station, Rocky Valley Reservoir, McKay Creek Power Station and the Bogong Creek Aqueduct.
Significance
A common thread across all the larger hydro scheme constructions was the need for workers, both qualified and unqualified who came from around the world seeking a new life for themselves and their families. New accommodation and facilities were required for the army of workers engaged in construction in often remote and wild areas. The SEC had a high demand for timber, and set up the first of a number of sawmills at Bogong Creek in 1939 and set up the first hardwood logging in the headwaters of the Kiewa River. These new ‘towns’ such as Mt Beauty and Bogong, survived, serving the needs of operational personnel and their families, and expanding with growth of new industries. Mount Beauty, and to a lesser extent Bogong, are among these places.
Inscriptions & Markings
1-Breakdown in (generator) Circuit Breaker (Isolating Contacts) Handwritten underneath (This is not a picture of any part of a
generator. It is a circuit breaker Signed Ron White Ron was the Principal Hydro Engineer of the SEC Kiewa Scheme
Page number 39
2-Big Hill Bench – Site of No. 5 Development (abandoned) Page number 40
3-No 1 Power Station Page number 41
4-No. 1 Pipeline, Anchor No. 8 Page number 42
5-Push Dozing – RD8 Tractor, 12 cubic yard Carryall and FD Cletrac Tractor Page number 43
6-No marking Page number 44
7-No marking Page number 45
8-Journal of State Electricity Commission of Victoria SEC Vol 15 No… April-May, 19… No 1 Pipeline-A view from McKay Portal G Hempenstall and D Sutton stiffening pipe section for transport during construction (….indicates missing text) Page Number 46
9-Rocky Valley Dam Core Wall Page number 47
10-No markings Page number 48
Last updated
24 Jan 2019 at 10:11AM